Popular Posts

Friday, March 28, 2014

The Nursery is READY . . . All DIY projects complete!


This is not fitness or nutrition related, but I am sure I have some DIY fans out there and wanted to share our nursery for a baby girl that could come anytime now :-).  Yes,  I said girl, can you tell I am not a fan of pink?  So, we've been hard at work on the nursery.  I am proud to say that we have spent a total of around $250 to completely furnish and decorate the nursery :-).  I am a big fan of re-doing furniture you can find on Craigslist or at yard sales and DIY projects - so we transformed an empty room to a well stocked nursery without breaking the bank!  Here are some close up photos:

The Projects:

One side . . .

So I refurbished the dresser, a $40 Craigslist find, below is a little snippet of before and after.  We found the glider/ottoman set on Craigslist as well - for $40.  It needed to be repainted and I had to resew and repeat clean (5 times) the cushions to get the stains out, but they came out.  And the crate nightstand is two wooden crates mounted together and painted - cost around $15 for all of the materials.

The knobs and pulls are from Hobby Lobby - love the birds and owls!  They were on sale too, 1/2 off.  This dresser was built in the 1940s, so it is solid birch wood and well made - a great find!  Just needed some TLC and revamping.

 Other Side:


We found the crib at a yard sale for $20, so I sanded and repainted it because it needed it.  I sewed the crib bedding myself, and the materials didn't cost that much.  I made the bumpers, ties, and crib skirt.  The bookcase was an old oak one from my classroom, that I repainted and did chevron contact paper backing for contrast on the back.  The wall decals are from Amazon, but were worth every penny ($40) - they went up great!


Wall Opposite of the Windows . . .


I always wanted to do this in my classroom but couldn't because of the cinder block walls.  But love it in the nursery!  Fostering a love of reading young!  Vinyl gutter bookshelves - bought everything at Lowe's with our military discount.  i have a ton of books from teaching, but here I can display some of my favorites. 

Another revamped piece from my classroom.  It was primary colors, but I repainted everything and got the same adorable knobs from Hobby Lobby.  It works great to hold smaller items like pacifiers, burp clothes, etc.

All we need now is a baby!  I'm 37 weeks, so not too much longer!  So thankful and blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I ADORE this nursery! You did such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! We are quite pleased with how it turned out! I workout in here for now (I do at home Beachbody workouts), because I love it and find it very peaceful ;-).

      Delete